LIFESTYLE

Why I Got A Hysterectomy To Remove My Fibroids

Why I got a hysterectomy to remove fibroids was a decision I wrestled with for a while.  About 4 years ago, when I first discovered a lump in my abdomen through self-examination and someone would’ve told me that I would be having a hysterectomy, I would’ve called them a liar.

Uterine fibroids are non-cancerous, firm, compact tumors made up of smooth muscle and fibrous connective tissue that develops in the uterus.  The cause of fibroids are unknown but research shows that genetic changes and hormones may play a part in their development.  Symptoms include heavy periods, lower back and pelvic pain.  Minimally invasive treatment includes uterine artery embolization and myomectomy.  There are also medications that may help shrink fibroids such as Gn-RH agonists (Lupron and Synarel) and a Progestin-releasing IUD.  Then there is the traditional surgical options of an abdominal myomectomy or hysterectomy.

After finding the “lump” in my abdomen, I got an Ultrasound done and it came back that I had fibroids.  At that time, the pain wasn’t bad, so I did nothing about it.  Fast forward to almost 4 years later: excruciating back and pelvic pain, painful sex, heavy and long periods, and a growing abdomen, I knew that I had to make a decision.  All of the options that were given to me still had a risk of them growing back and I did not want to go through that again.  That is why I got a hysterectomy to remove my fibroids.  I already had 2 kids and didn’t want anymore, hubby was in agreement, and time was not on my side.

January 2018 was my surgery date but I got cold feet and backed out.   Just the thought of  major surgery had me second guessing my decision.  The months went by, until the middle of August, when I couldn’t even stand because of the pain and ended up in the ER, all doubts went out the window.  I called my OB/GYN  2 days later and went in to sign all my paperwork for the surgery and scheduled it for November 16th, 2018.

My doc told me that the biggest fibroid was around 13cm and it was wedged into my pelvis and she didn’t know how in the world I was functioning.  She said that she rocked it side to side and had to cut it into pieces (which actually dulled her scalpel, she had to get a second one….can you believe that) to get it out.  I removed my uterus and fallopian tubes but kept part of my cervix and ovaries (don’t want to be taking any hormones).   I am almost 2 weeks post-op, still in pain, but I wouldn’t change anything.  Only problem was getting pain relief after I got home, but I will leave that for another post.

We all have major decisions to make in life.  Just make sure that you make the ones that you deem best for yourself and your family.  Thanks for reading and feel free to make any suggestions or comment.  Have a great day!!!!!

(20) Comments

1. Nikki Whyte says:

Wow thank you for sharing such intimate details of your life. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy decision; however, drastic measures are needed to correct certain issues. I’m praying for a speedy recovery and look forward to reading more updates. Be blessed my Queen!! Love and kisses 🙏🏾😘

1. Cherryann Williams says:

Thanks so much dear!! It most definitely had to be done although it was hard at first. Blessings babe. Kisses and hugs1!!

2. Wow! We definitely have to take the time to take care of ourselves. I love how you explained why this procedure was the best for you! I pray for a speedy recovery!

1. Cherryann Williams says:

Thanks so much my friend!!

3. I did the same thing. I had my hysterectomy in January of 2016 after suffering with fibroids for about 5 years. I had already had my tubes tied back in 2001 after my second child. So my stalling made no sense at all. Like you, I was anxious about the whole idea of the surgery. But I’m so glad I did it. Good luck with your recovery.

1. Cherryann Williams says:

Thanks

1. Cherryann Williams says:

Thanks so much babe. Sometimes we just procrastinate so much. Glad that you had the courage to go through with it.

4. Hope you heal up soon! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

1. Cherryann Williams says:

Thanks again!!

5. Hope you heal up soon! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

1. Cherryann Williams says:

Your Welcome

6. Hope you heal up soon! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

1. Cherryann Williams says:

Thank so much!! I appreciate it!!

7. This was a huge reminder to me to always make sure I am taking care of myself. Thanks for sharing!

1. Cherryann Williams says:

YW my dear, hopefully my story would help someone else!

8. Wow babe I am sorry you had to do that, but I know that was the best choice. I worked with someone who had that done and she was in A LOT of pain from the fibroids.

1. Cherryann Williams says:

It was too much for me babe, I had to do it. The pain is still there but I know I will feel much better!!!

2. Cherryann Williams says:

It was a decision that I should’ve made a long time ago but nothing happens before it’s time. Thanks babe!!

9. Predupre says:

Hoping you have recovered fully! Prayers for you and the fam

1. Cherryann Williams says:

Thanks so much my dear, Everything is going well!